Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Getting Started the Right Way

Several years ago I had a patient that came in after moving from North Carolina to Chattanooga.  I was asked to provide continuity of care based on her previous chiropractor's findings.  During the consultation she revealed that her previous chiropractor had put her on three supplements that were special formulated by the doctor with his own label.

She relates that when she started taking the supplements she felt great.  When asked what she was taking the supplements for she had a vague understanding that it was for pain.  She said that after 3-4 weeks she seemed to be getting less relief and maybe some side effects (nausea, irritability, restlessness, etc,)  I asked that she bring in the bottles.

When the patient returned for her next visit, she brought the three bottles of supplements.  I reviewed the labels.  Each bottle had thirty (30) ingredients most of which were herbs.  I asked for her to leave me the bottles until her next visit.  She agreed saying that because she felt bad she quit taking them anyway.

That evening I made a list showing each the ingredients in each bottle, arranged side by side so the patient could compare apples to apples (that is a nutritional joke).  After all was said and done each bottle was a duplicate of the other two except for one ingredient per bottle.  Except for the different ingredients every thing else was an herbal stimulant or a fiber.  After I showed that to the patient she agreed to let me order one tablet that had all three supplements in it, just to lower her level of herbal stimulation.

Needless to say the shotgun approach is not the recommended course.  Next week: Do It Right.



Needless to say

No comments:

Post a Comment